Graph paper, quad-ruled paper, graphing paper or millimeter paper is writing paper that is printed with fine lines making up a regular grid. The lines are often used as guides for plotting mathematical functions or experimental data and drawing diagrams. It is commonly found in mathematics and engineering education settings and in laboratory notebooks.
2009-05-07

Using Printable Graph Paper - How to Make Drawing Easy  

Using printable graph paper is an easy way to draw perfect, geometric shapes and diagrams, even if you're a lousy artist. The reason it works so well is that the small, evenly-spaced squares keep your doodles (and your brain) in good alignment. I've never been that great at drawing straight lines, and without some type of template or guide, my sketches quickly turn into scribbles that I can barely make out the following day.

Here's how I like to use graph paper: I just count off squares to make the shapes I need. I count a certain number of squares up, down, to the left, and to the right. From there I can simply divide the total number of squares in the row by one-half, one-third, one-fourth, or any division I want to create any number of shapes - all in perfect scale with each other.

At first I used printable graph paper almost exclusively for my shop projects; drawing out shapes, marking in the rough dimensions, and trying to get a sense of how the finished project might appear. Eventually I noticed I was using the paper for other things, too, like shopping lists, must-do lists, even simple doodling while I wait for water to boil in the kitchen. Now I use graph paper for almost everything. The neatly arranged little squares somehow keep my brain better organized, and better equipped to sort out the complexities of life.

See my favorite Printable Graph Paper

My favorite kind of printable graph paper these days has a series of converging lines drawn in perspective. If I thought I was bad at drawing straight lines, I'm even worse at drawing in perspective. It's a little tricky at first to see which squares your pencil line should follow, but with a little practice you'll start to see quicker and quicker where the lines need to converge on the page. After that it's very easy to keep boxes looking realistic, plus add anything else you want to the basic shapes and still keep the drawing in perfect perspective.



Autor: Andy Duframe

See my favorite Printable Graph Paper


Added: May 7, 2009
Source: http://ezinearticles.com/

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories